Aug. 18, 2026, 9:54 PM EDT / Updated Aug. 19, 2026, 12:32 PM EDT
By Jennifer Jett, Stella Kim, Mosheh Gains and Monica Alba
Joint military exercises underway between the United States and South Koreaare being cut short, both countries said, after President Donald Trump ordered that they be reduced and cited his “very good” relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un
The surprise announcement drew suggestions that Trump may want to revive his bid to strike a grand bargain with Kim over his isolated regime’s nuclear arsenal
Trump is open to a new meeting with Kim at the “appropriate time,” a White House official told NBC News, but no date has been set and no formal planning has started on a potential visit
The president is expected to travel to Asia this fall to attend several summits, including the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation gathering in Shenzhen, China, in November, but it’s unclear whether any possible meeting would be set up around that timeframe
However, Kim’s powerful sister Kim Yo Jong dampened hopes for a resumption of diplomacy between Trump and her brother, saying she was not aware of any communication between the two nations in comments carried by state media
Regarding the curtailment of the U.S.-South Korea drills, “we think it’s not worth making comments on that and we have no interest in it,” she said. “The provocative, aggressive nature of the drills won’t change even though their duration and size were reduced.”
Trump, who met with Kim three times during his first term in office, has mused publicly about resuming their earlier diplomacy, which collapsed in 2019. The Wall Street Journal was first to report the possible Kim meeting
After Trump’s public order to scale back the annual U.S.-South Korea drills, known as Ulchi Freedom Shield, the exercises will now end Aug. 21 rather than Aug. 27 as originally scheduled, a Defense Department official said
“Associated live-training events have been reduced, with certain events canceled or converted to simulations,” the official said, adding that the adjustments “preserve essential readiness.”
“There will be no degradation to U.S. training objectives,” the official said
00:41
Trump orders reduction of joint exercises with South Korea
00:0000:00
The South Korean National Defense Ministry also said the two countries “have agreed, at the request of the U.S. side, to make some adjustments to the duration and scale of the exercise.”
Some of the combined field training exercises will be conducted on a reduced scale, the ministry said in a statement, adding that the U.S. and South Korea “are currently consulting on the specific details.”
“Going forward, the ROK and the United States will discuss and implement various measures to achieve the objectives of the UFS exercise and maintain a robust combined defense posture,” the ministry said, using an abbre
The ministry declined to comment on a reported meeting Tuesday between Gen. Xavier Brunson, the commander of U.S. Forces Korea, and South Korean Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back
The surprise comments by Trump, which he made on social media hours before the exercises began Monday, have unsettled South Korea, which relies heavily on the U.S. for its security, as well as other U.S. allies in the region facing a growing threat from nuclear-armed North Korea
South Korean Foreign Affairs Minister Cho Hyun said Ahn had been “in close consultation with the U.S. side” since Trump’s social media post. He told lawmakers Wednesday that “neither our government nor officials in the U.S. government had any prior knowledge” of Trump’s order to scale back the drills
According to U.S. Forces Korea, the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise with South Korea, which hosts 28,000 American troops, aims to build understanding between the two militaries to ensure their “ability to fortify the combined defense posture” and enhance their response to “a spectrum of security threats.”
Foremost among those threats is North Korea, which in recent years has advanced its missile and nuclear capabilities and developed a close security relationship with Russia
Though the U.S. and South Korea say their drills are defensive in nature, North Korea routinely criticizes them as a rehearsal for invasion and often test-fires weapons in protest
In his post Sunday, Trump said the exercises sent a “totally inappropriate and hostile” message to North Korea, which he said had been “unthreatening and respectful” during his time in office
He also expressed anger over South Korea’s level of involvement in the U.S.-Israeli war with Iran and said he had ordered Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” the exercises
Kim, whose position has strengthened considerably since Trump’s first term, has rebuffed recent overtures from the U.S. president as well as South Korean President Lee Jae Myung, saying he will not come to the table unless they drop their demands for North Korea to denuclearize first
Trump told reporters Monday that he was not sacrificing the security of U.S. allies to curry favor with North Korea and that he was “actually making it much safer.”
He said Kim had responded to his outreach, without providing details. “I understand him; he understands me,” Trump said

