MLB owners have unanimously approved the reported $3.9 billion sale of the San Diego Padres to the ownership group led by the husband-wife tandem of José E. Feliciano and Kwanza Jones, the Padres announced Monday
That franchise sale, among the most expensive in North American sports history, dwarfs the $800 million deal that transferred Padres ownership to a group spearheaded by Peter Seidler and Ron Fowler in 2012
Advertisement
Seidler, the grandson of Walter O’Malley and the nephew of former Dodgers owner Peter O’Malley, became the Padres’ control person in 2020. Two years later, the team reached the NLCS for the first time since 1998. Seidler died at 63 years old in November 2023
Last year, Seidler’s widow, Sheel Seidler, sued two of Peter Seidler’s brothers for control of the team, alleging breaches of fiduciary duty and fraud. Eventually, MLB owners approved another one of Seidler’s brothers, John Seidler, taking over as the franchise’s control person. John Seidler announced in November that the Padres had started exploring a possible sale of the franchise. In February, Sheel Seidler dismissed almost all of her claims in the lawsuit, as
Feliciano and Jones, billionaire investors, agreed to purchase the franchise in April. They are buying more than 40% of the Padres, per The Athletic
“We are a family first, and becoming owners of the San Diego Padres means joining an even larger one,” Jones and Feliciano said in a statement. “We are grateful to the Seidler family, and especially to Peter, for raising the expectations of what this franchise can achieve
Advertisement
“We have built our life and our work together, and we will bring that same shared purpose, commitment and determination to our stewardship of the Padres. It is apart of a team, a tradition, and the San Diego community that has supported it so faithfully.”
Feliciano, the co-founder and managing partner of a private equity firm called Clearlake Capital, has been designated as the Padres’ control person. He and Jones intend to co-pilot the club, which entered Monday 67-58 after winning 17 of the past 22 games. The Padres are currently in position to secure one of the National League’s three wild-card spots
Jones is the founder and CEO of Supercharged, a media and personal development company. She and Feliciano met at Princeton University
Advertisement
“Our ambition is clear: to bring a World Series championship to San Diego and build an enduring organization capable of competing for championships year after year,” Jones and Feliciano said in the statement
“We intend to be engaged owners, bringing our energy, experience, and perspective while working alongside the talented team already in place and investing ambitiously and thoughtfully in the Padres’ future. That means pursuing excellence and innovation throughout the organization, delivering a first-class experience at Petco Park, deepening the bond with the faithful fans and making a positive impact across the San Diego community. We are all in and committed to winning.”
MLB commissioner Rob Manfred issued the following statement after the sale was announced
“On behalf of Major League Baseball, I thank John Seidler and the entire Seidler family for their stewardship of the San Diego Padres. Continuing the legacy established by the late Peter Seidler, the Padres reached the Postseason four times in the last six years, energized one of baseball’s most passionate fanbases, and strengthened the Club’s role as a cornerstone of the San Diego community. We appreciate the Seidler family’s longstanding commitment to our National Pastime and their many contributions to the game.
“It is my pleasure to welcome José E. Feliciano and Kwanza Jones as the new majority owners of the Padres following today’s vote. José and Kwanza understand the unique place the Padres hold in San Diego and the powerful bond between the Club and its fans. We look forward to their leadership of the Padres and to working with them to build on the Club’s strong foundation in a market that is so important to Major League Baseball.”

